Steve's Progress with OCA

This blog is for the learning log for Steve Estill's progress in the study for the BA in Photography with OCA.

The first Module was Photography 1 - The Art Of Photography.
The second module was Photography 1 - Digital Photographic Practice - started in January 2012 and finished in May
For the third module see the new blog at http://moreocapnp.blogspot.co.uk/

Wednesday 12 October 2011

Exercise 4.04 – Judging colour temperature 2

The following three sets of images were taken in the same way as the ones in Part 1 of this exercise – midday full sun; midday shade; and low evening light. The difference in this part of the exercise is the white balance adjustment, using ‘daylight setting for the full sun images, shade for the ones in the shade, and auto for the evening images.

The first set is of the roof of our bird table

exercise 4.04.01 Daylight

Midday – Full sun – Daylight WB

My feeling is that it was much brighter than this – maybe there’s some overcompensation in the White Balance.

exercise 4.04.02 Shade

Midday – Shade – Shade WB

Again, I feel this has been overcompensated. My recollection is that the colours weren’t so muted.

exercise 4.04.03 Auto

Evening Sun – Auto WB

These colours and brightness look about right to me.

The next set are of a garden ornament, moved around the garden to suit the required lighting conditions.

exercise 4.04.04 Daylight

Midday – Full Sun – Daylight WB

My recollection is of a brighter day with more contrast in the shadows. Maybe there’s overcompensation here too.

exercise 4.04.05 Shade

Midday – Shade – Shade WB

I feel that this too has been overcompensated. The dog seems to be too ‘yellow’ to me.

exercise 4.04.06 Auto

Evening Sun – Auto WB

These colours and brightness look right to me.

The next set is of a clump of saxifrage in a garden which is in need of some weeding!

exercise 4.04.07 Daylight

Midday – Full Sun – Daylight WB

I would say that the greens were too ‘blue’ in this image – not as I would perceive them.

exercise 4.04.08 Shade

Midday – Shade – Shade WB

I used my body to create the shade for this image (it creates quite a large shadow – even at midday), but I feel that the greens in this image are too ‘yellow’

exercise 4.04.09 Auto

Evening Sun – Auto WB

This image looks about right to me – the colours reflect warm light of the evening which is what I would have expected.

It seems to me that the pre-set camera settings are dubious to say the least. Obviously they’re set to what are perceived to be the optimum for each daylight / shade situation etc. Obviously the light conditions change on a daily basis and even more with the seasons, so it’s got to be taken with a pinch of salt. I suppose setting the balance manually, using the standard grey card would be the best way, but it seems that the camera’s automatic system works pretty well to me.

No comments:

Post a Comment