Steve's Progress with OCA

This blog is for the learning log for Steve Estill's progress in the study for the BA in Photography with OCA.

The first Module was Photography 1 - The Art Of Photography.
The second module was Photography 1 - Digital Photographic Practice - started in January 2012 and finished in May
For the third module see the new blog at http://moreocapnp.blogspot.co.uk/

Thursday 3 May 2012

Project – A web gallery

Project – A web gallery
Looking at other photographers’ websites, there are some that stand out as being excellent – www.michaelfreemanphoto.com is one easy to navigate, using either a slideshow where the images are smaller, or individually selected where the images are larger. Returning to the main menus is straightforward.
Others are not so good – www.paolowoods.net has some excellent galleries, with reasonably sized images – sometimes with too much text and navigating back from individual images to the main menu is hopeless. www.chriskillip.com doesn’t show his images well – just a slideshow of his latest exhibition, over which there is no control – so if you want to look at his work one needs to search elsewhere.
There are many ups and downs on the various websites I've looked at, but the key seems to be to keep it simple, with large images and easy navigation. One thing that isn't mentioned in the text is- keeping the site up to date. There are several that haven't been updated for years, so credibility is lost as soon as the viewer visits the site.
Our own website is one I was given as a birthday present several years ago. While this is not required in this part of the course, I’ve spent a little time looking at our website layout (which is just a fun thing) and rearranged the image galleries, in line with what’s been suggested in the course material. Have a look at www.estills.net at ‘Steve’s Galleries’ to see what I’ve done.
This site is managed by ‘Mr Site’ which has its own specific, fairly limited image gallery options. There’s either a slideshow with small images, or as I’ve done mine, with a stepping mode through the images. At least the navigation is OK. I like the Flash galleries available in Lightroom 4, which I may use if I create my own site.
Maybe I’ll look at another site if I decide to become more of a professional in the future, but in the meantime I’ve rearranged things slightly, with different categories which I may add to and populate with more images.

No comments:

Post a Comment