Steve's Progress with OCA

This blog is for the learning log for Steve Estill's progress in the study for the BA in Photography with OCA.

The first Module was Photography 1 - The Art Of Photography.
The second module was Photography 1 - Digital Photographic Practice - started in January 2012 and finished in May
For the third module see the new blog at http://moreocapnp.blogspot.co.uk/

Monday 7 May 2012

References and Evaluation

Websites referenced during this section:

http://photo.net/learn/digital-photography-workflow/advanced-photoshop-tutorials/sharpening/

Books referenced during this section:

The Adobe Photoshop Lightroom 3 Book – Martin Evening

ISBN-13: 978-0-321-68070-9

Adobe Photoshop CS5 for Photographers – Martin Evening, Jeff Schewe

ISBN 978-0-240-81483-4

The Complete Guide to Digital Photography – Michael Freeman

ISBN-13 978-0-500-54325-2

How to Design and Build the Coolest Website in Cyberspace – Nick Nettleton

ISBN 1-904705-06-5

Web Design: Start Here – Nick Nettleton

ISBN 1-904705-03-0

Web Photoshop: Start Here – Peter Cope

Evaluation:

I don’t feel as though I’ve gained much from this part of the course. I was already conversant and practicing the requirements for backup. Similarly I was up to speed with printers and printing. I have gained a little more knowledge about sharpening, but mainly on the ‘capture’ sharpening, rather than the ‘output’ sharpening which has been looked at here. Still. At least it’s been good to know that I was doing it right. I’ll look further into capture sharpening.

Looking at the course as a whole, it’s been mainly going over things that I already knew. I’ve learned about linear capture and camera dynamic range (and so learned more about my equipment). I’ve learned to use the histogram and highlight clipping displays on the camera and controlling the exposure for optimum dynamic range and clipping. In Photoshop I’ve seen some quick fixes for white balance correction and looked further into the advantages of Black and White conversion. With regard to ethics, I don’t feel as though I’ve had my stance altered in any way – what I’ve seen just bears up what I already thought.

But still – I have enjoyed the course. It’s good to practice with equipment and it’s good to be involved with the process. AS I’ve said, I’ve learned some new things and that’s what it’s all about! With the personal project it’s been good to get out and enjoy the moors and what it has to offer. I’m pleased to have done it.

No comments:

Post a Comment