Steve's Progress with OCA

This blog is for the learning log for Steve Estill's progress in the study for the BA in Photography with OCA.

The first Module was Photography 1 - The Art Of Photography.
The second module was Photography 1 - Digital Photographic Practice - started in January 2012 and finished in May
For the third module see the new blog at http://moreocapnp.blogspot.co.uk/

Thursday 22 December 2011

Exercise 5.04 – Juxtaposition

I’ve decided on a still life image, to illustrate ‘Classic Cameras’ by Colin Harding.
I’ve chosen two cameras, vastly different, to show in juxtaposition.
One is a Zeiss Ikon Super Ikonta A bellows camera, dating from the early 1930’s. It uses 120 film and has a coupled rotating-prism rangefinder, uncoated Carl Zeiss Jena Tessar 70/3.5 lens in a Compur shutter. This was one of my father’s cameras.
The other camera is a Nikon D300s digital camera dating from 2011. At present this is the top of the DX range. It is fitted with a 18-200 mm 3.5-5.6 VR lens. This camera is not shown in the book, but I’m sure updates will include it.
Both cameras are shown with their media (except that I’ve shown 35 mm film instead of 120) to give further comparisons.
The backdrop is natural calico.
exercise 5.04.01
In taking this image I used two light sources – a diffused daylight lamp and a multi LED worklight. I felt the daylight lamp (positioned above right) didn’t do the image justice, particularly in the lens detail, so the worklight was used for the shadow fill.
I used my D200 for this image – obviously I was photographing the D300s. I deliberated about using the media for each camera, considering that it may be too much, but decided that because it was such an important difference in the two cameras they should be added. I could have used pneumatic leads and radio controlled remote activation, flash lamps and digital flash etc. but decided that film / compact flash were enough for this image. 
 
While this image is a standard juxtaposition (two contrasting still life objects) I wanted to have a more illustrative image, so I decided to use my wife’s studio as a backdrop to show her work in progress. 

Work In Progress

I took this in the evening with the only light being her work light. I think the background gives just enough detail to show that it’s a studio. Her sketchbook shows the work which has gone towards her creation while the sewing machine shows the work on the fabric she’s making.
10 mm ultra-wide lens, tripod mounted.

No comments:

Post a Comment