Steve's Progress with OCA

This blog is for the learning log for Steve Estill's progress in the study for the BA in Photography with OCA.

The first Module was Photography 1 - The Art Of Photography.
The second module was Photography 1 - Digital Photographic Practice - started in January 2012 and finished in May
For the third module see the new blog at http://moreocapnp.blogspot.co.uk/

Saturday 3 March 2012

Evaluation:

I’ve learned about linear capture and how noise is present mainly in the dark areas so it seems logical that to get the best image, the exposure should be taken for the lightest areas. This way more data will be seen in the right hand side of the histogram – away from the area where noise is likely to occur.
Using exposure to control the highlight clipping I’ve seen that reducing the exposure reduces highlight clipping, reduces chromatic aberration, loses detail in the shadows and increases the colour saturation (to a limit). Increasing the exposure has the opposite effect, but increases the brightness.
I’ve seen the relationship between ISO setting and noise. I’ve also learned more about my camera’s settings for reducing high ISO and long exposure noise.
In calculating the camera dynamic range, I’ve learned that the lower ISO settings of my camera are derived by under exposing images, so better results are obtained at ISO 200 – the adjustment process clips the highlight detail significantly. I’ve learned some more about my camera. I’ll be using ISO 200 as the norm, unless I want slower shutter speeds than is reasonable at that setting.
I’ve seen that the scene dynamic range isn’t just a function of the contrasting colours, but of the intensity and direction of the light source. High contrast images will have these strong light sources and hard, dark shadows.
I’ve learned some quick fixes for correcting colour cast and seen that the white balance presets give a reasonable ‘guesstimate’ for a set condition. Auto white balance is a reasonable guess, but it may be possible to improve on it using software.

No comments:

Post a Comment